Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Article in "The Atlantic" - Mentoring's Promise and Limits

Leo Hall and I were featured in this article, titled "Mentoring's Promise and Limits" which appeared today in The Atlantic. I want to thank Larry Gordon for interviewing me and Leo for the story.

Leo and I first met in 1973 when he was in 4th grade and I had just joined the tutoring program at Montgomery Ward as a volunteer. We have stayed connected for over 40 years, which to me is the goal of "well organized, long-term" tutor/mentor programs.

The article includes comments from many researchers but really does not dig into the information base needed to understand where organized programs are most needed, where existing programs are located and what they do, or who they serve. Nor does it talk about the long-term, on-going support, that business, media, donors, volunteers, etc. need to provide to enable long-term programs to exist ....where relationships like the one between Leo and I are able to launch and grow.

I've posted more than 1000 articles on this blog since 2005 that show strategies intended to help well-organized programs grow. If you look at this collection of printed newsletters from 1994-2001 you will see that I started sharing these ideas long before blogging became available.

I created the Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC in 2011 to continue the Tutor/Mentor Connection, which started in 1993 as part of a small site based tutor/mentor program that I was forming.   I still depend on contributions to do this work, even though I do not operate as a 501-c-3. Visit this page to offer your help.

No comments: