Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Mapping strategies. Building Shared Understanding

Over the past few months I've been building an understanding of a new concept mapping software (KUMU), by following its use in the Systems Thinking World. I viewed this video today:



In the video is a graphic of an iceberg. After viewing that I searched for a post I'd made in the past, using an iceberg graphic that had been created to show the infrastructure needed to support youth and volunteer connections in organized, non-school tutor/mentor programs. I've included the text of that blog article, written in 2012, below.

I've been using concept maps to show strategy, and in 2011 created this Debategraph outline, to show everything we should be thinking about in efforts to help kids living in high poverty areas get the extra support needed to move through school and into jobs.

I've so much information on my web library that most people have a hard time understanding what's there. I created this concept map to show a "learning path" that people might use to go through the information.

Once you view the video above, the one below, and the iceberg graphics, I hope some of you will help me find some volunteers and/or college study groups who might want to help me build a Kumu version of this learning path, and videos that describe each step of the map.

Here's the article from 2012

This video is one I've discovered as a result of connecting with a Systems Thinking World group on Linked in.




In the video is a graphic that looks like an Iceberg along with a graphic showing a problem solving process. I've used this graphic to show the range of skills/actions that need to be embedded into a tutor/mentor program in order for it to have a growing impact on the lives of kids, volunteers and communities.

This graphic includes a map, illustrating that great tutor/mentor programs are needed in many parts of Chicago. It also includes an inverted pyramid which illustrates steps communities need to go through to build enough support and u understanding to generate the resources that enable each program to have the skills/talents shown in the above graphic. And it shows a need to connect people from beyond poverty with the information being shared and with programs in different high poverty neighborhoods.

I'd like to find volunteers, interns, researchers, Phd students and partners who can convert my maps and charts and essays into systems thinking diagrams and videos so that we might gain grater understanding and support for the ideas.

Want to help?


12-28-18 update - Systems Thinking Model: The Iceberg - related reading for the ideas posted in this article. click here

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info! I definitely believe that concept maps can help to clear things up. I learned What is a Concept Map? using Lucidchart and their site was very user friendly! Check it out!

Tutor Mentor Connections said...

The Lucid Chart concept mapping tool seems useful, but there are so many free mapping tools available I'm not sure what the advantage is of paying to use this?

I've been using CMAPs for many years and am following a growing number of other mapping tools as they emerge.

Tutor Mentor Connections said...

I've found many sites using an iceberg to illustrate hidden challenges. Here's one that talks about the culture in organizations that works against innovation. https://martindavis01.wordpress.com/2015/07/25/culture-the-iceberg-that-sinks-organizational-change/