Thursday, July 05, 2012

Lawyer doing Heavy-Lifting for Chicago Mentoring

I received the message below from Dan Cotter, Chair of the Board for the Lawyers Lend a Hand to Youth Program at the Chicago Bar Association.

I've been part of the growth of the Lend A Hand Program since 1994 and love what Dan is doing each year to raise money that can be used to support volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs in the Chicago region. Dan's a lawyer and weight lifter and each year he gathers pledges based on how many pounds he lifts. Through his efforts he has personally contributed more than $200,000 to support tutor/mentor programs in Chicago.We need more heros like Dan, doing the same thing, and helping support-networks grow in every industry, not just in the legal community.


Please read this, share it and become a sponsor if you can.

With the start of summer comes Lifting to Lend-A-Hand X. On Saturday, July 28, I will compete in the American Powerlifting Federation- Amateur American Powerlifting Federation Chicago Summer Bash 9.

Lifting to Lend-A-Hand is something I created ten years ago to be able to raise funds for Lawyers Lend-A-Hand to Youth, whose mission is to channel the legal community’s resources to promote best practice mentoring and tutoring programs in disadvantaged communities that foster consistent, long-term bonds between adults and youth. I believe strongly in the potential for all youth to succeed.

Lifting to Lend-A-Hand X marks multiple milestones. I originally committed to a ten-year campaign, and this is year ten. My goal for those ten years has been $250,000, and we have come close raising a little over $200,000 in cash and in-kind support. Recently, I celebrated my 45th birthday. My personal goal for Lifting to Lend-A-Hand X is to raise $45,000. A big, hairy audacious goal, but one I think I can reach with some help from friends such as you!

I and the programs supported by Lawyers Lend-A-hand need your support.

Lifting to Lend-A-Hand is like a walkathon event. On the competition day, I will compete in a regular powerlifting meet. The best lift in each of the squat, bench,and dead lift will go toward my total. You can make a flat pledge or you can pledge by the pound. (Obviously, my aging knees and hips would appreciate a flat pledge.) If you pledge $.10 per pound and I lift a total of 1,500 pounds, you would owe $150. My expectations are to be in the 1300-1500 range.

Every amount counts! It all adds up to do phenomenal work for our mentoring programs! The biggest donors will be recognized with prominent listing on a shirt I will wear at the meet and listing in the luncheon program book and on the check I will present at the My Hero Awards Luncheon on Thursday, September 20, 2012 (tentative). Donors at the following levels will also receive tickets to the luncheon:

· One ton club - $2,000 or $1.33 per pound - 8 tickets (a table can be 8-10 seats)

· 3/4 ton club - $1,500 or $1 per pound - 6 tickets

· 1/2 ton club - $1,000 or $.67 per pound - 4 tickets

· 1/4 ton club - $500 or $.33 per pound- 2 tickets

You can donate online at http://lawyerslendahand.org/index.php?page=donation. If you prefer to make a pledge, you can send me an email at liftingtolendahand@hotmail.com. Please check to see if your employer matches donations. Each year, your generous individual donations are augmented by employer matches. Every penny raised goes to supporting the program.


Imagine if leaders in every industry were constantly raising money and visibility to encourage volunteer involvement and to fund volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs in the Chicago region. More programs throughout the region would have multiple streams of financial support and a more diverse based of volunteers modeling jobs and careers that kids might aspire to. See some of the leadership ideas in the Tutor/Mentor Forum and look for ways you can "be like Dan" starting this fall.



No comments: