Saturday, June 09, 2012

Awards, Recogntion

I've received a number of awards recognizing the work I've done over the past 40 years, starting with an Army Commendation Medal that I received in 1971 as I finished my tour in Korea.

You can see a list of awards and recognitions received here and a list of newspaper stories here. One was the Publisher's Clearing House Good as Gold award that was presented on the Montel TV Show.

None of these awards was earned by my efforts alone. Many people have volunteered time, talent and dollars to help me build and lead tutor/mentor programs at Montgomery Ward between 1994 and 2011. This has always been a team effort.

One recognition I appreciate the most came from this article written in 2009 by Phil Shapiro. Another was receiving an honorary PhD from Illinois Wesleyan University in 2001.

Of course, the best award is hearing alumni tell how much their lives have been transformed because of being part of a tutor/mentor program.

Year-End Dinner 2010: Tangela Marlowe from Cabrini Connections on Vimeo.


I'd like to see thousand of people earning all sorts of awards for what they do to help volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs reach k-12 youth in high poverty neighborhoods of Chicago and other cities. That's why I write these articles every week.

No comments: